Saturday 31 May 2014

Fair Go Fairfax....

My Australian childhood is rich with images from amazing photographers who put themselves on the line to capture a moment. Being so far away from the rest of the world, us Aussie's relied on the photo-journalists to let us in on what was going on.

Kampuchea held images of children with distended bellies, heartbreaking scenes of families being torn apart. 

East Timor, and Papua New Guinea - our neighbours who I would know little of it it were not for the journos and photographers who bring home that story. 

Bali paradise, American baseball games, African sunsets, Middle East conflict, human tragedy after global crisis. 

These images evoked my passion for travel, and inspired me to get out there and experience life beyond my imagination. These images have led me to places to work as a volunteer, and also to get into the industry I am in - emergency assistance for travellers.

Closer to home, the images of outback Australia, politicians, every-day Australians have provided the visual of whats happening in my neighbourhood. Bushfires, festivals, politics, tragedy, celebrations. We need to see these clever, funny, beautiful and sometimes cutting images of the my country. 

I'm proud of being Australian, and I love the images from home broadcast to the masses. We have an amazingly diverse nation to celebrate. 

With sadness I learn today that one of a major Australian media is considering ditching our Aussie photographers in favour of..... what? who? 


Come on Fairfax, lets not go down the path of bringing sub standard, cheap images of Australia. If we do that, we'd miss the amazing images like these from award winning Dallas Kilponen 20 Years of Australian Photographer for SMH


Keep our Photo journalists. #fairgofairfax

Please sign the petition to keep 30 Australian photographers employed: Sign Here

No comments:

Post a Comment