Saturday 26 October 2013

Friends.


This week found me thinking about new and old friends and how fortunate I am to have so many wonderful people in my life. Those amazing people who I can laugh with, cry with, vent at, listen to, love. And at the end of all that, people who choose to remain in my life. 

A dear friend has been on my mind a lot lately, she lives overseas and I haven't seen her for 2 years! We chat on Facebook and text each other every now and then, but its not the same. It's not like having her in the same city for a quick catch up over a glass of bubbles. Or on the other end of a local phone call that doesn't cost my kidneys.

We were besties well before the term was invented. We met at the beginning of high school and have laughed together ever since. We initiated each other in our first holiday without parents. (Bali). We shared intimate secrets. We gossiped (but not about each other). We cried on each others shoulders as teenage love turned to a painful heartbreak. We laughed at each others jokes and stories until we cracked our ribs and could laugh no more. We fought. At times we hated each other. Especially when she threw out my favourite pair of dusty pink shoes that i absolutely adored! She was the first one to wish me Happy Birthday for many many years. She is the only one who can ever say - "you are NOT wearing THAT are you?" without me feeling the need to punch her. 20 years ago, I was her bridesmaid - she chose my dress! She honoured our friendship even more by choosing me to be godmother to one of her gorgeous girls. 

Sadly we drifted apart when life seemed to take over while we started careers and raised children and struggled through our "every day". Life got in the way, and then distance got in the way even more. 

A message at 2am this week asking which country I was in made my heart sing! Especially because I could see that her location (love social media) was at the airport! I had so much adrenalin from that message that I couldn't sleep.

Finally, after not seeing her for two years we stole a few hours for a quick catch up and it's been the best two hours of my month! 

Life happens around us, and we slowly move betweens friendships. After seeing her again today, I vow to our friendship that I will not let another 2 years grow between us. 

The fact that she lives so far away just means I have an excuse to indulge in my passion for travel.


xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment