Friday 28 June 2013

Love What You do

I have a pretty good life. Gorgeous family, great friends, and I love my job. 

Its true. I love the people I work with, I love the company I work for, and I really love what I get to do on a daily basis. 

AND 

I love telling people what I do and where I work and more importantly, I love it when people realise that I'm not just paying lip service to some ideal work/life balance, that I am genuinely living it. 

I caught up with an ex colleague yesterday after not seeing each other for 2 years, and it was such a delight to hear him comment on how "happy" and relaxed I looked. 

The day before, I had lunch with a friend who insisted I've had Botox. (she's a doctor so I squinshed up my face to prove to her my face was all me!). 

Its not just that I "look" happy and relaxed, I feel it. I have so much energy, and I feel as though I have truly found my place. Not one day since I started at that company have I felt the dread of a work day. Sure there are a few days that seem to go slower than others, and Friday is always the best day of the week - but every day is rewarding and different. 

A few years ago I was working in a large global organisation in a job that I really did love. I worked with some of the most amazing people who remain very dear friends, and I learnt some valuable skills that have set me on my path. But toward the end of my time there, I wasn't too happy and it was fairly obvious to those who knew me. 

After leaving and taking some time out from corporate life, I returned last year to a smaller company in a slightly different role. I was still able to bring my expertise to the role; the new company embraced it, and empowered me with greater challenges. I am recognised for my contributions and I really feel valued. 

The best part of my new job is that my children see me doing something that I love, and hearing me talk about my days with positive energy. I am passing on the lesson in life that work doesn't have to be a chore. If you follow your heart and are passionate about the role you play in the world, you will be happy. 

And more importantly, champagne is so much better than Botox! 



No comments:

Post a Comment