Sunday 16 June 2013

Young Dying Mum needs your help.

There was a moment in my day today when the universe stood still - if only for a second. My heart stopped beating, the clouds stopped moving and everyone around me walked and talked in slow motion. And then it clicked back into place and my mind was racing. 

What can I do? How can I help? How much time? Shit. Shit. Shit. 

The word "shit" just kept going around and around in my head and eventually it was the only word I could say. 

My friend. My lovely young friend. A struggling single mother of a beautiful pre-teen boy was no longer in remission. All I could say was "shit". 

Her son was likely to be burying her before testosterone managed his teenage life; sadly she would be the second parent he's buried, and it broke my heart. There is no guarantee life is meant to be fair, but "shit" - this isn't in the playbook either. 

After collecting my thoughts and my struggle with more than one word, I managed to ask her if she were given a cheque for something tangible, what would she spend it on. 

She would like to take her son on an 'around the world trip' to share some magical moments together in some magical places. 

And that's when I realised how I could help. 

Travelling is the lolly of my life. I could relate to her wish for one last "hoorah" exploring places with the most important person in her life. Even knowing the risks of her medical condition and knowing that no travel insurance company would likely insure her.... I thought her wish was fantastic and totally appropriate. 

So here's my public pledge. I am going to help make this happen. 

In August, our sons rugby team are going to hold a Trivia night in the inner city (Sydney) to raise money to send them on an amazing adventure. A gorgeous medical friend has offered to help repatriate her (if something happens while she is away) and I can assist in writing her travel/medical emergency response plan for her holiday. 

Here is where the universe answers. I need prizes to auction. Her cause needs exposure. I need a contact for affordable accommodation. I need an airline to offer flights. I need kind people to reach into their hearts and donate money. I need a miracle to pull this idea off. 

If you can help, or know of anyone who can help, please pass on my details. 

Time is of the essence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment